You can edit your text a variety of ways to make sure it fits your design needs. Currently, you can work with and change:
To change the font of any text box:
- Select the text box you wish to apply a new font to.
- Click on the font drop down menu in the editor toolbar.
- Select a new font and click on it.
- The new font will be automatically applied to the text box.
If you wish to change the size of the text in a text box:
- Click on the text you wish to resize.
- Click on the drop down menu that controls font size in the editor toolbar.
- Select the new size you wish to apply to the text.
- Both the text and the text box will automatically resize.
Resize text box
You can also change the formatting of text by resizing its text box. To resize a text box:
- Click on the text box you wish to resize.
- Look for the resize handles found on the left and right side of the text.
- Drag any of the resize handles to change the width of the text box.
- Adjust the font size and spacing as needed.
Change text color
If you’ve decided you wish to work with a new color scheme and need to adapt the color of your text:
- Click on the text whose color you wish to change.
- Click on the color option in the editor toolbar.
- Select the new color you wish to work with. Put a (✔️) tick mark in the box “Change all” if you wish to apply the color to all of the same colored elements in your design.
You can set text to be set to the left aligned, right aligned, or centered. To define the alignment of text used in your design:
- Click on the text whose alignment you wish to define or change.
- Click on the Alignment button in the editor toolbar.
- A menu bar will reveal all 3 kinds of alignments. Select the kind that works best for your design.
To justify texts in a text box, use the shortcut keys Cmd + Shift + J which will pull all grouped text boxes to be in the same width. Here’s how it works:
The visual emphasis placed on text can convey worlds of information.
To define emphasis for text in Canva:
- Click on the text whose emphasis you wish to define or change.
- Click on B if you wish to make your text Bold, I if you wish to italicize, and AA to change your text to uppercase.
Text in bulleted list
You can quickly add bullets to existing lines of text to highlight important pieces of information. Taking a list of items that are in sentence form and putting them into a bulleted list format makes the content easier to scan and read.
To add a list of bullet points:
- Click the List button in the editor toolbar to add a bullet point at the start of every new paragraph on your text element.
- If you decide you would like to remove the bullet points later, click the list button again.
In Canva, you can control the amount of space between letters and lines. Not only will this help you stylize text, it will help you ensure your text is both readable and easy on the eyes.
To change text spacing:
- Click on the text whose spacing you wish to define or change.
- Click on the Text Spacing button in the editor toolbar.
- Using the Letter Spacing and Line Height sliders, adjust text spacing.
- You can change the Anchor text box settings from Top, Middle, Bottom to adjust the size of the text box as you type more text.
As with most other design elements in Canva, you can change the transparency of any text you set.
To change text’s transparency:
- Click on the text whose transparency you wish to define or change.
- Click on the Transparency button in the editor toolbar.
- Use the transparency slider to adjust the transparency of your text.
You can change the position of a text box by rotating it. You can rotate text to any angle.
If you want to be super precise, a preview of exactly how many degrees you’ve rotated the element will show up next to the rotate anchor. The element will also “snap” into place every 45 degrees to help keep your design aligned with crisp angles.
To rotate text:
- Click the object you want to rotate.
- Click the rotation handle at the bottom of the text element, and then drag in the direction you want.
Using special or foreign characters/symbols
Currently, Canva fully support languages that use the basic Latin character set: the twenty-six letters of the Latin alphabet, numbers, and punctuation.
For now, our text tool is unable to support languages that use Cyrillic, Chinese characters, or other languages that require characters beyond the Latin alphabet.