Add and delete text and text boxes
Typography is the art and technique of arranging type. The aim of the game is to make your written language look aesthetically appealing and easy to read so audience’s can absorb your message.
With millions of fonts, finding the right one can be overwhelming. Thankfully Canva provides a variety of text and text holders which you can easily use and apply in your design.
Adding text boxes
To add a text box:
- Open any of your designs.
- Go to Text.
- At the top of the text pane are some standard styles for Heading, Subheading, and Body text. Click or drag any of these into your design.
- Format text via the editor toolbar.
Adding text holders
Text holders are text boxes with graphic designs. They can be found right below the Heading, Subheading, and Body text on the object panel. Using text holders make it easy to add your own text. You can easily edit the color, fonts, and size of the text to give a visual impact to your design.
To select and use text holders:
- Go to Text.
- Click or drag the text holder onto your design.
- Format text within the editor toolbar.
Adding your own text
Changing the existing content of a text box or text holder can be done by either typing or pasting copied text from an external source (i.e. word processors, web pages, PDFs, etc.)
Make sure to select the text box first before typing or pasting text. You can also delete the existing content by highlighting the text and by pressing Backspace or Delete on your keyboard.
Duplicating text boxes
Here’s how to duplicate text boxes:
- Click on the text box you’d like to duplicate.
- Click on Copy found on the editor toolbar.
- Format the duplicated text box if you wish.
Deleting text boxes
To delete a text box or a text holder:
- Select the text box you wish to delete by clicking on it.
- Click on the Trash icon found on the far-right side of the editor toolbar.
Deleting grouped text boxes in layouts
Sometimes, when using a layout, deleting a text box might involve deleting all of the text. To delete only one text box, you’d have to find out if the text boxes are grouped. To do this:
- Click on the text box you wish to delete.
- On the editor toolbar, look out for the Ungroup button. If it appears, click on it to ungroup the text boxes.
- Click again on the text box you’d wish to delete.
- Click on the Trash icon on the editor toolbar to delete it.