Format illustrations and icons
You can change the size, transparency and placement of any illustration or icon to better fit your design needs.
If you’re looking for a specific icon or illustration you can do a quick search to find it. Check out our Advanced search article for more information.
Do note, however, that some illustrations and icons may be listed as a premium element. They will have a watermark that looks like a criss-cross pattern superimposed on top of images. Don’t worry though, you may purchase them to remove the watermark.
Resize an illustration or icon
To resize an illustration or icon:
- Click on the illustration or icon you wish to resize.
- A dotted outline with a circle on each corner will appear around it.
- Click, hold and drag on any of the circles to change the size of the illustration or icon. Active corners will turn blue.
- Once you are happy with the elements new size, release the corner.
Change the color of an illustration or icon
To change the color of an illustration or icon:
- Select the illustration or icon whose color you wish to change.
- Click on the color button on the left hand corner of the editor toolbar.
- Select a new color. Put a (✔️) tick mark in the box “Change all” if you wish to apply the color to all of the same colored elements in your design.
Change the transparency of an illustration or icon
To change the transparency of an illustration or icon:
- Click on the illustration or icon whose transparency you wish to change.
- Click on the transparency button on the editor toolbar.
- Using the transparency slider, adjust the transparency of the illustration or icon.
Rotate an illustration or icon
Illustrations and icons including all other elements in the Canva library can be rotated.
To rotate them:
- Click the illustration or icon you wish to rotate.
- Click the rotation handle at the bottom of the element, and then drag in the direction you want.
If you want to be precise, a preview of exactly how many degrees you’ve rotated the element will show up next to the rotate anchor. The element will also “snap” into place every 45 degrees to help keep your design aligned with crisp angles.
Group and ungroup illustration or icon
To group multiple illustrations or icons in your design, simply select all the elements and click on the Group button from the editor toolbar.
To ungroup them, click on the Ungroup button.