Adding and removing backgrounds
Backgrounds offer a quick and simple way to add life to your design. Instead of using a plain white color as your layout’s backdrop, browse through Canva’s library of available backgrounds to find one that best fits your design goals.
Canva currently offers several types of backgrounds:
- Solid color backgrounds – This turns the entire backdrop of your design into a one color field. You can use your brand colors or select a custom color from the color wheel.
- Gradient color backgrounds – This background transitions from one color to another, usually fading into lighter or darker tones that blend together.
- Illustrative backgrounds – This comes in playful vector patterns which add texture to your design.
- Image backgrounds – Professional or personal photos can be used as the design’s background. It usually holds the theme and content of your design to make it more visually interesting.
Adding a background
To add a Solid or Illustrative background to your design:
- Click on Background tab on your object panel.
- To apply a solid background, select a color from your color palette or from the color picker.
- To apply a gradient background, type in “gradient” in the search bar to pull up results below the color palettes.
- You can also choose from a selection of free illustrative backgrounds, which can be found below the color palettes.
To add an image background, start by adding a grid to your page.
- Click on the Elements tab in the object panel.
- Click on Grids and choose the grid without partitions.
- Add your own photo by choosing from our library, from our selection of Free photos or by uploading your own photo.
- Drag the image into the grid to apply as a background.
For more information on resizing photos you can check out our article on Using photos in grids.
Arranging elements from the background
When adding a new background, elements in place may get lost underneath. You can easily fix this by arranging elements.
- Select the layer above, in this case, your background.
- Click on the editor’s Arrange button.
- Choose the Back option until you see all the elements you’ve put in place.
- Click File then Save.
Deleting a background
To remove a background from your design:
- Click on the background you wish to remove.
- A dotted outline and editing options will appear around the background.
- Click on the Trash button in the editor toolbar.
- Select Delete element.