Adding and removing backgrounds
Backgrounds offer a quick and simple way to add color to your design. Instead of using a plain white background as your backdrop, browse through Canva’s library of different backgrounds to find one that best fits your design goals.
Canva currently offers 3 types of backgrounds:
- Solid color backgrounds
- Illustrative backgrounds
- Image backgrounds
Solid color backgrounds turn the entire backdrop of your design into a solid color field. You can use your brand colors or select a custom color from the color wheel.
Illustrative backgrounds offer playful vector patterns that add texture to your design’s backdrop. It can give a design lacking a bit of color the right amount of pop.
Image backgrounds let you get more creative by using professional photos as a background. It holds the theme and content of your design to make it more visually interesting. Upload your own photos or choose from our selection of photos to use as an image background in your design.
Adding a background
To add a Solid or Illustrative background to your design:
- Click on Background tab on your object panel.
- To apply a solid background, select a color from your color palette or from the color picker.
- You can also choose from a selection of free illustrative backgrounds, which can be found beneath the solid colors.
To add an image background, start by adding a grid to your page.
- Click on the Elements tab in the object panel.
- Click on Grids and choose the grid without partitions.
- Add your own photo by choosing from our library, from our selection of Free photos or by uploading your own photo.
- Drag the image into the grid to apply as a background.
Deleting a background
To remove a background from your design:
- Click on the background you wish to remove.
- A dotted outline and editing options will appear around the background.
- Click on the Trash button in the editor toolbar.