Use photos in grids
Once placed on a grid, photos can also be cropped, have filters applied, or be layered to create a variety of visual effects.
There are several ways to use photos in grids, depending on your Canva editor version. Head over to our article about Canva 1.0 and 2.0 to find out which version you are using.
Use photos in grids (Canva 2.0)
Add a photo to a grid
- Add a grid to your design.
- Select the Elements tab in the side panel and browse through the Photos category.
- Alternatively, open the Uploads tab or Folders tab to use a photo you’ve uploaded.
- Click and drag the photo to the grid you’d like the image to be displayed.
Crop photos in a grid
- Click on the photo on the grid and click on Crop from the toolbar. You can also double click on the photo you wish to crop.
- Click and drag the white cropping marks to resize the cropping area.
- Click ✔ Done on the toolbar to complete the action
Use photos in grids (Canva 1.0)
Add a photo to a grid
- Find a photo you would like to add to the grid.
- Click, hold and drag the photo to the section of the grid you’d like the image to be displayed.
If you change your mind about any of the images you have added to your grid, you can remove them by dragging and dropping an image into the place of the image you wish to replace.
Resize photos in a grid
- Double click on the image you wish to resize.
- Four small circles will appear on each of the image’s corners.
- Click, hold, and drag on any of the photo’s corners to expand or contract the image. From here you can move the image around until you find the correct position.
Apply filters to your grid
- Click on an image in the grid.
- Click the Filter option on the toolbar.
- Click Advanced Options for more filter options.
Layer photos using grids
Layering photos over one another is a quick and easy technique to give your images a new perspective. Overlaying a second, semi-transparent image on top of another with grids can create interesting designs, collages or effects.
To layer photos using grids:
- Go to Grids folder and select the first grid.
- Click, hold and drag the first photo into the grid.
- Add the same type of grid on top of the first one.
- Click, hold and drag the second photo into the second grid.
- Adjust the transparency level by moving the slider to your left.
- You can resize and move the photo in the editor accordingly.